Skip to main content

The Pre-Road to Rhode Island

I remember my third date with Shane. I lived in Fairhope, Alabama at the time and he had recently moved to Pensacola, Florida so we met in the middle at a Mellow Mushroom in Foley, Alabama to continue the budding romance we found after the dining, piano bar-going, and kayaking we did on our first two dates.

We knew we liked each other. We knew this was different than anything we had previously experienced and we found ourselves talking about things most probably wouldn't on a third date.

We talked about traveling together and where we hoped to end up living one day. We shared our love for North Carolina, the epic road trips we could take together, and then he mentioned having me spend Thanksgiving with him in New England (this was in May). "There's nothing like a New England Thanksgiving," he said. He grew up in Massachusetts and always talked of home with stars in his eyes.

Fast forward six months and I was able to experience that Thanksgiving; he was right- I had never experienced anything like it and I fell in love. We paraded through Boston, went ice skating, and had a traditional spread of a meal surrounded by the lovely people I would grow to call family.

Our dreamy destination wedding
 in Leicester, Massachusetts
In May 2014, Shane and I got married in Massachusetts and settled into newlywed life in Lillian, Alabama. We knew we weren't meant to stay there forever and couldn't picture raising a family in the South, away from family and void of a tight-knit support system nearby. Nevertheless, life there was great and we made wonderful memories with friends and visitors. We owned a beautiful home that we took great pride in. We grew our careers. We grew together in our marriage. We celebrated two anniversaries. We dreamed of the next chapter and where we would be led.

We never really imagined living in New England. We talked of North Carolina, a little more north than that, but living in New England didn't seem to be directly on our radar. Good thing God doesn't use our radar to make decisions for what is best for us.

A few weeks ago, Shane and I got word that he had been selected for a wonderful career opportunity and we would be relocating to Rhode Island. We were ecstatic and anxious to see this process unfold!

(I'll be honest, I immediately started Googling places, Yelping restaurants, mapping out all the Trader Joe's in the areas, and mentally signing up for some Rhode Island yoga classes!)

A painting I had made of us in front of our Alabama
home and our moving announcement
We put our beloved home on the market, began looking for rental homes in Rhode Island, and held a yard sale.

Shane had moved across the country before but I had not. The farthest I had ever moved was from my home in Lakeland, Florida north to the Deep South of Alabama (you didn't know that was possible, did you? Trust me, it's possible.)

Now we were moving eight states and 1500 miles away. But we were doing it together.

This Southern Belle was in for a treat! I could handle the North, right? Why, of course! My y'all saying, pie baking, stranger-smiling self was ready for a new adventure, ready to settle into New England life and see what God had in store for our future.

Now, we just had to get there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Southern Belle's New England Dictionary: 10 New England Words Defined By A Southern Transplant

When my Massachusetts sweetheart and I relocated back to his stomping grounds after we lived in Alabama for five years (I am originally from Florida), I was excited but also had no idea what I would be getting myself into. Since being with Shane, I thought I knew all there was to know about New England life before even moving here; I thought it would be a smooth transition and I would fit right in (mostly). Move-in day! Little did I know, I would often feel like a foreign exchange student in need of a pocket dictionary and language guide. I'm sure I often displayed a befuddled expression as I attempted to converse with the locals, as I am sure they also thought my "y'all" and slight drawl (at least as far as Alabamians are concerned!) was otherworldly. Now that we have successfully relocated and have been enjoying New England life for 10 months, I have picked up some local words and phrases. Caution: when attempting to understand the meaning of a word or p

New England is for Home Owners

When my husband and I  moved to Rhode Island , we sold the home where our marriage began in Southern Alabama and drove miles and miles to a whole new world in the Northeast. Since his new job covers a fairly large area, we decided it would be wise to rent for a while in Rhode Island while we explored the area and decided where it would be best to settle down. That time came sooner rather than later and we are excited to now be two weeks in our lovely new abode. One caveat: we bought a house in...wait for it... Massachusetts! (Hence the blog name change! This Southern Belle's road continued on a few miles over state lines.) Thanks in huge part to Kristy Oliveira of Remax for helping  us get into our meant-to-be home! We are so excited to settle into this beautiful home and create many wonderful memories over the next several years. Naturally, we traded our southern chalet for a beautifully classic New England Colonial and we couldn't feel more blessed and right at

New England is for Christmas: My Favorite Traditions

Christmas is my favorite holiday. I celebrate as long as I can possibly get away with and look forward to it for the rest of the year. Since we moved into our new home just a few weeks before Christmas, and it would be many weeks after that before we had furniture and paint on the walls, I had to keep my Christmas decorating to a minimum this year. Nevertheless, my Christmas cheer came in full capacity! I was so excited to experience my first holiday as a New England Belle , but I was most excited that for the first time in our entire relationship, Shane and I would be waking up in our own home on Christmas morning. There really was nothing like it. Because of this, Shane and I vowed to have a quiet Christmas morning together with no alarm clock. We soaked it all in by stayed in our pajamas, opening our stockings, and enjoying an easy breakfast. We spent the rest of the day opening gifts, spending time with family, and staying true to a few of our favorite Christmas t