Skip to main content

Rhode Island is for [Ice Cream] Lovers

If you've known Shane and me for any amount of time, you know that we both nurse a pretty gnarly sweet tooth. We will make any excuse for desert or a treat any day of the week- especially when we are out of our normal routine on vacation or with visitors- or, in this case- moving from Alabama to Rhode Island and wanting to do as the locals do!

Before we moved to Tiverton, I scoured Yelp for local hot spots and local's favorite restaurants
(bonus for those with an expansive gluten free selection!). One common thread on reviews around Tiverton was ice cream. Being that I recently traded my dairy-free lifestyle for a gluten-free one (among 19 other things that my body despises. Long story for another post if you're really interested), I was excited to be in a position to try out all this famous ice cream touted by Tivertonians (I may have just made that up).

One thing was evident: people in Tiverton had very strong alliances to either Gray's or Helger's ice cream. One review I read went so far to say that a man lied to his wife about taking their daughter to the ice cream shop opposite of his wife's favorite. If she found out, there would be hell to pay for that poor husband. Is there such thing as irrevocable ice cream differences?

One thing seemed very obvious to Shane and me: we had to try both!


While they were both delicious for different reasons, there was one caveat- No one mentioned a third contender! 

Much closer to our home than either Gray's or Helger's (too close, one might say), was the Moose Cafe. 


Having reintroduced dairy and having three delicious ice cream options at our fingertips was definitely feeding our sweet teeth. While not good for diets, it was definitely good for date nights!



Thank you for the very sweet welcome, Tiverton! We would gladly support local businesses by trying, and retrying the local ice cream establishments (as a business owner myself, I am also a supporter of local businesses #shoplocal). While the Reilly jury is still out on which one is the best, the Moose definitely gets a few extra points for their ABUNDANCE of flavor choices and the fact that they carry a gluten-free cone. Shane loved the homemade waffle cone at Helgers and we both loved the coffee chip flavor at Grey's. When it comes to ice cream, it's hard for us to leave anyone out. 


For the first (several) trips to get ice cream, Shane always ordered the same thing, a soft-serve twist in a waffle cone, add chocolate jimmies (yes, they're called jimmies in the Northeast, not sprinkles as I have been accustomed to for my 27 years as a Southern Belle). They say opposites attract, my dear husband and I much like a chocolate and vanilla twist, so I had to try a new flavor each time. So far, there hasn't been one I didn't like. 

While my taste buds are happy in Tiverton, my waistline is waving the flag of caution. We've now established an "ice cream only on weekends" rule but that has already been broken once or twice. As I write this, Shane has texted me to ask me out on a weeknight ice cream date. What respectable wife would turn that down!? Surely not I- I am a Southern Belle deeply rooted in chivalry, old-fashioned traditions, and respectable gender roles after all. 

So far, Rhode Island has agreed with me across the board, the ice cream just being the icing on the cake. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Southern Belle's New England Dictionary: 10 New England Words Defined By A Southern Transplant

When my Massachusetts sweetheart and I relocated back to his stomping grounds after we lived in Alabama for five years (I am originally from Florida), I was excited but also had no idea what I would be getting myself into. Since being with Shane, I thought I knew all there was to know about New England life before even moving here; I thought it would be a smooth transition and I would fit right in (mostly). Move-in day! Little did I know, I would often feel like a foreign exchange student in need of a pocket dictionary and language guide. I'm sure I often displayed a befuddled expression as I attempted to converse with the locals, as I am sure they also thought my "y'all" and slight drawl (at least as far as Alabamians are concerned!) was otherworldly. Now that we have successfully relocated and have been enjoying New England life for 10 months, I have picked up some local words and phrases. Caution: when attempting to understand the meaning of a word or p

New England is for Home Owners

When my husband and I  moved to Rhode Island , we sold the home where our marriage began in Southern Alabama and drove miles and miles to a whole new world in the Northeast. Since his new job covers a fairly large area, we decided it would be wise to rent for a while in Rhode Island while we explored the area and decided where it would be best to settle down. That time came sooner rather than later and we are excited to now be two weeks in our lovely new abode. One caveat: we bought a house in...wait for it... Massachusetts! (Hence the blog name change! This Southern Belle's road continued on a few miles over state lines.) Thanks in huge part to Kristy Oliveira of Remax for helping  us get into our meant-to-be home! We are so excited to settle into this beautiful home and create many wonderful memories over the next several years. Naturally, we traded our southern chalet for a beautifully classic New England Colonial and we couldn't feel more blessed and right at

New England is for Christmas: My Favorite Traditions

Christmas is my favorite holiday. I celebrate as long as I can possibly get away with and look forward to it for the rest of the year. Since we moved into our new home just a few weeks before Christmas, and it would be many weeks after that before we had furniture and paint on the walls, I had to keep my Christmas decorating to a minimum this year. Nevertheless, my Christmas cheer came in full capacity! I was so excited to experience my first holiday as a New England Belle , but I was most excited that for the first time in our entire relationship, Shane and I would be waking up in our own home on Christmas morning. There really was nothing like it. Because of this, Shane and I vowed to have a quiet Christmas morning together with no alarm clock. We soaked it all in by stayed in our pajamas, opening our stockings, and enjoying an easy breakfast. We spent the rest of the day opening gifts, spending time with family, and staying true to a few of our favorite Christmas t