Skip to main content

New England is for Runners

Last year, I uncharacteristically decided to sign up for a half marathon through Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I had previously never run more than 2 or 3 miles and hadn't a clue how to enjoy it- let alone not die from 13.1 miles of it- but the idea of doing it for an amazing cause and having people invested in my progress was the push I needed. My best friend Mallory has a very personal tie to LLS and has worked for them for many years so with her help and encouragement, I signed up for the Rock n Roll half marathon in New Orleans, which was just four months away at the time.

After I crossed that finish line with my fellow purple-wearing teammates, I vowed to let my legs have a little break but I would definitely be signing up for another race.

There is just something so liberating and joyous about pushing yourself through each mile, some feeling euphoric and some feeling laborious, but finally crossing the finish line VICTORIOUS! (It sounds wicked- New England lingo- cheesy, but it is true).

On the day of my half marathon in New Orleans, my sweet in-loves said that they were signing up for another go at the Finish at the 50 5k at Patriots Place in Foxborough, MA on July 3. Instead of the 5k again though, they decided on the 10k! How awesome is that? It had become an annual tradition for them and they were taking it up a notch in 2016. We gushed over how nice it would be if Shane and I lived close enough to do the race with them...

Lo and behold, just a few months later, we were close enough! We moved just in time to participate in the Finish at the 50 (I ran, Shane cheered) and it felt so wonderful and right to be near our family, doing something so seemingly normal together.





Everything about our life in New England felt so right- so right at home. It didn't take long for us to feel settled and secure that we were where we belonged. Doing things like this with family only confirmed that. Mix that feeling with all the endorphins running through my veins and I was one very happy chica!

It didn't take long after that to get into a running groove and looking forward to future races where I could not only enjoy the route, but also see new corners of our new beautiful home. I have become involved in the local yoga studio and quickly met some beautiful souls who became instant friends, and bonus! They also loved to run. Early morning runs became a much anticipated part of my weeks! 

My beautiful yogi runners- Rachael and Emelye!


As we watched the sunrise over our little slice of paradise a few mornings a week, we realized that there were probably other yogis who would be interested in running together. Why not create a club?  What would you call such a club, though?

running + yoga = ROGA!

Pretty soon, we had our inaugural Roga run on Labor Day. While I was once self conscious of running and afraid to run with others who may be stronger, better, or faster, sharing the common bond of loving both running and yoga was more than enough to bond a group together and make an early morning holiday 5-mile run enjoyably challenging.




Growing up, I never participated in team sports- or sports in general. I dabbled in dance and theater
but never knew what it felt like to be a part of a team and enjoy the benefits of breaking a good sweat. It may sound silly, but growing to love something that physically challenges me has been a fairly new endevour but one I have welcomed wholeheartedly. To have two things now (running and yoga)  that feel like mine, that challenge me, connect me to others, and grow me mentally and physically- well, I consider that to be a great gift.

Emelye and I at the Run to the Rock 10k in Plymouth, MA!
Each day of life in Rhode Island has been confirmation that Shane and I are exactly where we belong. God knew what He was doing opening this door and I am truly blessed to belong to this unbelievable community.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Southern Belle's New England Dictionary: 10 New England Words Defined By A Southern Transplant

When my Massachusetts sweetheart and I relocated back to his stomping grounds after we lived in Alabama for five years (I am originally from Florida), I was excited but also had no idea what I would be getting myself into. Since being with Shane, I thought I knew all there was to know about New England life before even moving here; I thought it would be a smooth transition and I would fit right in (mostly). Move-in day! Little did I know, I would often feel like a foreign exchange student in need of a pocket dictionary and language guide. I'm sure I often displayed a befuddled expression as I attempted to converse with the locals, as I am sure they also thought my "y'all" and slight drawl (at least as far as Alabamians are concerned!) was otherworldly. Now that we have successfully relocated and have been enjoying New England life for 10 months, I have picked up some local words and phrases. Caution: when attempting to understand the meaning of a word or p

New England is for Home Owners

When my husband and I  moved to Rhode Island , we sold the home where our marriage began in Southern Alabama and drove miles and miles to a whole new world in the Northeast. Since his new job covers a fairly large area, we decided it would be wise to rent for a while in Rhode Island while we explored the area and decided where it would be best to settle down. That time came sooner rather than later and we are excited to now be two weeks in our lovely new abode. One caveat: we bought a house in...wait for it... Massachusetts! (Hence the blog name change! This Southern Belle's road continued on a few miles over state lines.) Thanks in huge part to Kristy Oliveira of Remax for helping  us get into our meant-to-be home! We are so excited to settle into this beautiful home and create many wonderful memories over the next several years. Naturally, we traded our southern chalet for a beautifully classic New England Colonial and we couldn't feel more blessed and right at

Seeing 4th of July History in Bristol, Rhode Island

Before moving to Rhode Island , I scoured the internet for every list and blog that spelled out what local Rhode Islanders did for fun, ate as staples, and went for coffee (Dunkin, obviously, but there are other great choices too! Coming soon to the blog.) One of the  events I kept seeing pop up on lists about how great Rhode Island is was the Bristol 4th of July Celebration . Now that I live in one of the 13 original colonies, I am surrounded by so much amazing American history! The very first 4th of July parade strolled down the streets of Bristol, Rhode Island in 1785! That's 231 years of patriotic parading... I just knew I had to be there. Shane and I arrived in Bristol an hour or so before the parade was to start. As soon as we pulled off the highway, streets were covered in parked cars and peppered with pedestrians donning their red, white, and blue. After a little walk, we found a great spectating spot near the water and passed the time until the parade was to sta